Lincoln and Lancaster County residents are encouraged to recycle their scrap metal during November to benefit the Lincoln Public Schools (LPS) recycling program. The recycling drive is being held in connection with Lincoln Recycles Day (LRD) Saturday, November 15.
Scrap metal can be taken to Alter Metal Recycling, 6100 N. 70th St., and Sadoff Iron and Metal Company, 4400 West Webster. All types of scrap metal including aluminum and tin cans, pots and pans, appliances, wiring, sinks, bathtubs and electric motors can be recycled. Customers may donate all or part of the proceeds from the scrap metal to the LPS program. At the end of the drive, the two companies will match the amount of the public donation.
Funds raised for the LPS recycling program will be used to replace aging, worn out steel recycling containers. They will be recycled as scrap metal and replaced with containers manufactured from recycled steel – closing the recycling loop. The LPS program provides recycling education and opportunities in all LPS school classrooms, offices and support buildings. Currently, LPS recycles about 1.2 million pounds of material annually, or 24 percent of its refuse.
LRD is observed in conjunction with the 17th annual America Recycles Day (ARD), recognized annually on November 15. Millions of Americans participate in the event, which is the only nationally recognized day dedicated to encouraging Americans to recycle and to buy recycled products.
“Recycling does make a difference by conserving resources and valuable landfill space,” said City Recycling Coordinator Gene Hanlon. “We have a network of 31 multi-material recycling drop-off sites in Lincoln and Lancaster County as well as private businesses that offer curbside recycling. Other businesses and organizations accept household items such as electronics, batteries, tires, compact fluorescent lamps and fluorescent bulbs for recycling.”
Well City is an initiative based around WELCOA’s Well-Workplace Award, designed to engage entire business communities in improving the health and well-being of their workforce. Fond du Lac business and community leaders have come together to engage in Well City Fond du Lac to help make the Fond du Lac workforce one of the healthiest in America by developing and delivering results-oriented, evidence-based health promotion programs at their worksites. The Well City Fond du Lac initiative will be a three-year journey resulting in no less than 20 Fond du Lac area employers achieving Well Workplace designation.
Why Well City Fond du Lac is important for Fond du Lac Employers
- Fond du Lac is ranked 51st out of 72 Wisconsin counties regarding health behaviors (including smoking, diet and exercise, alcohol use).
- Workplace alcohol, tobacco, and other drug use costs U.S. companies over $100 billion each year.
- Fond du Lac has a higher percentage of adult excessive drinking (26%) than the state average (23%).
- Fond du Lac has a higher percentage of adult smoking (21%) than the state average (20%).
- Employer-sponsored health insurance premiums have more than doubled in the past nine years, a rate three times faster than cumulative wage increases.
- The average cost of an employer-based family insurance plans is approaching the annual earnings of a full-time minimum wage job.
- Unhealthy workers utilize a disproportionate share of health plan benefits.
Join the Well City Fond du Lac initiative today
- What you are agreeing to:
- Appoint a Wellness Champion, who will be the driver of the Well Workplace process.
- Complete a Well-Workplace Checklist and use the outcomes to form your program.
- Become a WELCOA member.
- Complete Well-Workplace University Training.
- Implement the Well-Workplace model (7-Benchmarks of Success) at your worksite.
- Submit an application for national Well Workplace recognition.
- Once your organization has achieved Well Workplace status, you agree to mentor at least one other organization going through the process.
- Click here to take the next step.
At Sadoff Iron & Metal Company we continue to enhance the customer experience and value by offering the ability to register for valuable coupons and incentives. Go to www.winwithsadoff.com to register today. Receive a coupon for your immediate use and we will send you 1 per month after that with different offers and incentives .
*Some restrictions apply see individual coupon or contact us for details.Sample Coupon